Wednesday, May 09, 2007
On this day:

D.I. [finally] Go Pop

The arrival of Leigh the lodger (the erstwhile Victor S) has fired my musical synapses to the extent that I've been trawling my archives like some demented shuffle play sensei. One semi-forgotten treasure that came to the surface of consciousness was the band Disco Inferno, the group that, above all, inspired Simon Reynolds to coin the term Post-Rock (in a 1994 piece for The Wire if memory serves).
As a big fan of the Renmeister, of course I went out and bought D.I. Go Pop and played it fairly regularly for 18 months or so. Wasn't quite so keen on Technicolour, although it too has its moments (particularly 'When the story breaks'). By the time that album came out [1996], the band had split, seemingly washed up as the tide of Britpop broke.
Listening to Disco Inferno again now, they sound less knowingly futuristic than simply modern. You could even imagine them getting some chart action today (what's good enough for Hard-Fi, etc). Time for the return of Ian Crause and co.?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited countries map or vertaling Duits Nederlands