Friday, January 12, 2007
On this day:

Six pack or wine rack?

Non-native speakers can sometimes inadvertently come up with great new words and concepts in English. Take my Dutch friend Erwin: earlier this evening he accidentally coined the neologism 'wine rack', when he thought that one of my female colleagues who had been talking about 'six-packs' and then started talking about her wine rack, was still talking about abs! Once everyone had stopped laughed, we realized what a great, and wholly appropriate phrase a 'wine rack' is to describe a big belly developed through copious vino consumption.

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin Toland said...

An example of usage: 'Are you coming down the gym?' "Nah, I've decided to swap my six-pack for a wine rack' or 'Nah, I'm working on my wine rack this evening'.

12:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited countries map or vertaling Duits Nederlands