Monday, July 17, 2006
On this day:

Deep-fried theatre

The Guardian's critics have selected their shows to watch at this year's Edinburgh Festival. As with any such list, it's a bit of a curate's egg and probably not intended to be definitive. Nevertheless, it's interesting - and a little disappointing - to note that the theatre picks consist of adaptations of hit books ('Platform', 'My name is Rachel Corrie') and of cult classic movies (the 'cinema on stage' of 'Get Carter' or 'Midnight Cowboy'), with a bit of Shakespeare ('Troilus and Cressida') thrown in for the traditionalists. Is the stage so devoid of powerful new voices of its own? I don't believe it for a minute, but the proof of the pudding will be in next month's eating. I'm at the festival from August 19th to 28th: I'll let you know how it tastes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you! I will be stuck here slaving away over a hot keyboard. If you take any pics, do post them on a Flickr account - I always appreciate images from home.
:)
Anyway, enjoy!

5:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited countries map or vertaling Duits Nederlands