Friday, December 02, 2005
On this day:

The wild parakeets of Parc Tenbosch

Today's Guardian has a feature on a The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, a new movie about a flock of Peruvian parrots that lives in San Francisco. It's a nice story and I hope the film does well, but as a Brussels resident, I'm a little disappointed that our flock of wild parakeets (found in Place Guy D'Arezzo and Parc Tenbosch and now moving into the Ixelles Ponds district), was not the one to be immortalised in film. I mean, how often does it snow in San Francisco? Yet, rain, sleet or shine, the noisy green birds take it all in their stride. People have told me that the parakeets originated from a circus, from which they escaped about 25 years ago. I don't know whether that is true or not, but their presence in Brussels is one of those quirks that makes the city such an enjoyable place to live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited countries map or vertaling Duits Nederlands