Friday, November 12, 2004
On this day:

Radio ready...

...Ready for the radio." Pooh Sticks, wasn't it? Marvellous.
Well, I've finally managed to re-assemble my decrepit PC and gain access to the database of tapes I recorded off the radio between 1989 and 1997. The tapes themselves are no longer in my possession. They were stolen by a particularly nasty burglar when I lived in Stockwell, South London in 2000. He probably got a fiver for them tops. Dickhead!
As well as listing the contents of each tape in the collection (or a fair few of them at least), I will also try and give some background info and commentary. I thought about doing it chronologically, but that seemed incredibly dull and tedious. Instead, I'll be picking out tapes at random. Here goes...


Title: January 1991

Side 1
My Bloody Valentine (MBV) - To here knows when
MBV - Swallow
MBV - Honeypower
MBV - Moon song
Steelie & Clevie - Give it a chance (version)
Mark Summers - Summers Magic
3xDope - Mr. Sandman
Midwich Cuckoos - Show me
3PM - St. P
Ugly Music Show - The pie is the limit
Xon - Dissonance (edit)

Side 2
Sensurround - Blind Faith
Spacemen 3 - Big City
The Wake - Jokeshop
Yamie Bolo - Struggle in Babylon
King of the Slums - Joy
The Charlatans - Opportunity 3
Deskee - Kid get hyped
Plant Bach Ofnus - Second birth of the inner eye (edit)

These were all tracks played by John Peel. The My Bloody Valentine tracks were all taken from the To Here Knows When EP. Amazingly it reached no. 29 in the UK charts. Jokeshop was a diatribe against Factory records, The Wake's former label. Given Factory's impending collapse, it was probably pretty accurate. According to the Link2Wales website, Plant Bach Ofnus (Timid Little Children) were an "Early 90's [sic] hippy-trippy trance outfit, who rec for the Anglesey based Ofn label." Sensurround was the brainchild of the Manchester music journalist John Robb and was in the same Indie-Dance vein as Primal Scream's Loaded. Pretty good actually. 3PM were a rap group from Bristol. The St. P of the title is the St. Paul's district of the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited countries map or vertaling Duits Nederlands